Wednesday, October 22, 2008

One week old

We've survived a week. It has actually been an easy week. Camryn and Miles are doing great. We took them to the doctor yesterday and both are gaining weight and growing. Miles weighed 5lbs 11oz and was 19 1/4 inches long, so up from his discharge weight of 5lbs 9oz. Camryn weighed 5lbs 10oz and was 19 inches long, which is up from her discharge weight of 5lbs 7oz. Both of them are still slightly jaundiced, but still at a very small level. Camryn is only yellow in her face, but it Miles is yellow down in his chest (but not far). I can say that these two have been easy compared to Macey (watch me jinx myself for saying that). They eat about every 3 hours and are still at the point where they sleep between feedings. Sure, Macey slept between feedings at this age, but not in her crib, not in her bassinet, not in anything...only if one of us held her. If we put Macey down she was only asleep for maybe 5 minutes, 15 minutes at the most. So Sean and I spent much time sleeping in a recliner holding Macey (talk about sore arms, back, neck and complete exhaustion). Macey also wasn't too keen on being passed around. So no one really got to hold and cuddle with her, except for Sean or me. When we were at the pediatrician, she commented on how both of us were smiling, so that's a good sign on how we're doing. We both chimed in and said that Macey did a great job preparing us for anything. The twins are completely different. My mom has been here helping us and it has been truly a blessing to have her around. She's cooked us some great meals, played with and cared for Macey, helped with each of the twins, and just been a great support. Now if I could only get her to move to Austin!

Here's a few things we did this past week after we were discharged:
  1. We took Camryn (well Miles went along for the ride) to Dell Children's ER on Sunday night. Camryn had issues on Saturday with low blood sugar level and low body temperature; she's the reason we stayed until Sunday. I, being the paranoid mom that I am, took their temperature sometime Sunday. Miles was above the necessary level, however, Camryn was not. After many attempts to warm her up to no avail, we went to the ER. She turned out to be fine and we got home around 11pm...long day.
  2. Monday we took Camryn (again Miles went along for the ride) to the pediatrician as a follow up visit for the ER. She weighed 5lbs 10oz at the appointment and was excellent the entire time. She didn't make a noise as the doctor checked out her joints, back, ears, etc. The only time she made a noise was when I had to put her on the cold hard scale. She let out one scream and that was it. She checked out fine again.
  3. Miles somehow managed to wet through 2 outfits during the night on Tuesday. We've got them in preemie diapers, however, Miles got moved to newborn size for nighttime due to the wetting issue. I change them each time they wake up to eat, but that didn't matter, he still wet through the diaper.
  4. They got their first sponge bath at home. Both of them weren't very thrilled with the experience. Miles added his own fountain to the bath time.
  5. We took them to their newborn follow up visit on Wednesday morning. The appointment was at 9am. If you think it takes forever to get out of the house with one newborn...it doesn't... However, we did manage to get to the appointment on time.
  6. Laundry...wow...I've washed 2 loads of just baby clothes this week. One thing I have to say about Macey is that she didn't have many blowouts or leaks and she really didn't throw up that much, so our laundry didn't become overwhelming with just her.
  7. I counted how many diapers they went through in one night (just the night time)...10 diapers. You do the math!
  8. I'm supplementing both of them with formula. We likely go through 12-15 bottles a day...I need more bottles! When we go to bed for the night, I bring with us 6 bottles with water to the room (so we aren't having to go up and down the stairs). The top rack in our dishwasher is taken up with bottles in no time...we need a dishwasher just for the bottles!

I need to catch some z's before the babies wake up. I'll try to post some new pictures soon.

1 comment:

Miranda and Roger said...

WOW! You have been one busy momma. Sounds like they are doing great though.