Thursday, October 9, 2008

The fun of having a 16 month old

Macey is in true toddler form. Tantrums, "no's", falls, testing limits, everything. I had her outside this evening letting her play and she decided to climb into the chair next to me. She gave me the mischievous smile and stood up in the chair. I told her to sit down...as she still smiled at me. She did sit down and as she did she said "thank you", which is what we tell her when she listens to us. So then it became a game for her to stand up and for me to say sit down and then for her say thank you. On one of these standing up stunts I started counting to three. I said "one, two, " and then Macey would very proudly chime in with "three". I haven't really been counting in terms of her following the requests as she's a little young to get that idea, but I have been counting in other scenarios. Before I pull off her shirt I'll say "one, two, three" and have the shirt off by three. When I'm bathing her and about to pour water on her hair to rinse it I'll say "one, two, three" and pour the water on three and then praise her for doing so well. The tantrums are not so fun. She does the whole fall out on the floor and cry bit. She was doing one of those today and I asked Sean where she picked up all that drama...how is that hard wired in their heads? She is a handful, but we have so much fun with her. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm enjoying every moment with her, even the screaming, tantrum throwing, cranky Macey since it won't be long before I won't be able to rock her before bedtime, or pick her up when she falls, or get her out of the crib, or lay on the floor and color with her, etc. I'll eventually be able to do those things again with her once I'm healed from surgery.

1 comment:

Joy said...

I love reading about what Macey's up to. She is a doll, isn't she? Don't you wonder if one or both of the twins will look like her? I'm always so curious about what subsequent children will look like...especially my own. You've got less than 2 days left now. That's crazy. Good luck!!!