This morning I had the first appointment at the perinatal groups office with the nurse that runs their twin/multiples program. It was quite an informative visit. Here is the timeline I was given.
6/25/08 (22 weeks)-Begin decreasing activities
Rest 1 hour at lunch and 2 hours before dinner
8/6/08 (28 weeks)-Uterus size of full term
Uterus starts contracting more
Decrease all activities
Lateral rest 2 hours at lunch and 2 hours before dinner
Part-time work at the office, come home rest 2 hours, work 2 hours,
rest 2 hours, work 2 hours
9/3/08 (32 weeks)-99% of babies born without I.V.H (brain hemorrhage) *Big Goal to Pass*
Plan to stop work or work 4 hours at home
Have everything done at home by now
Most moms tolerate very little activity (2 hours outings)
9/17/08 (34 weeks)-Will not aggressively stop labor
Will not need steroids for the baby's lungs
Babies in NICU approx. 2 weeks as "feeders & growers"
10/1/08 (36 weeks)-Usually babies can go home with you
May have jaundice & feeding delays
10/8-10/15/08 (37-38 weeks)-Ideal twin delivery
That was a lot to digest, especially since I wasn't expecting such an quick and early timeline. I'm not suppose to be carrying anything (laundry, Macey, groceries, etc) and limiting the amount of trips up and down stairs (they suggested making one trip down and one trip up a day). I'll go every week and they'll check my cervix every week (as well as do the other routine visit items). The nurse stated that the babies are still high and that my cervix seemed to be shorter than what my doctor had measured a month ago. The heartbeats were in the 140s and 160s. My blood pressure and weight was fine. Although I feel like I've put on too much weight, she assured me that for twins you typically put on weight faster and earlier and then from here on out the weight you put on is usually water retention (as well as the babies, etc) and not as much weight is put on as the beginning at the end. I know all too well the water retention side of pregnancy. I'm dreading the painful swollen feet and leg feeling.
That's it in a nutshell. I'd have to say this visit really brought everything to reality...we're having twins.
1 comment:
WOW! That is REALLY different from a singleton, isn't it? I'm surprised at how dramatically your activity will have to decrease. That's amazing...are you ready???
Post a Comment