Monday, January 12, 2009

Clothes are optional...

That is if you ask Macey. She's in the stage of taking her clothes off. I don't fight her on it since there are bigger battles to fight with her and I know that she will not be 8 and still taking her clothes off randomly (let's not get into that discussion). She was taking her clothes off and Sean was going to make her stop. I just told him I don't fight her on it. It's a stage, she's learned something new and wants to be more independent. She'll get over it and there's no way I can reason with a 19 month old, so she goes shirtless quite a bit, well obviously not when we are in public (I'm not that bad of a parent).

Speaking of clothes, I had to laugh when my friend Julie commented on the fact that Miles was laying on a pink blanket in one of the pictures I posted. I didn't even notice he was on a pink blanket. That happens often with both of them (Camryn on a boy blanket). And I will confess that Miles has worn girl clothes and bibs and Camryn has worn boy clothes and bibs. In fact, in that same post Camryn has on a "boy" onesie. Seriously, at 4am when I have to change their clothes or put on a bib, I am not going to spend that extra energy to make sure the clothes match the gender. Heck, even when I'm getting them dressed for bed with the lights on. Or even in the middle of the day, I put whatever bib is available on them. So Miles has worn bibs that say "glamor girl" and Camryn has worn bibs that say "sweet baby boy" (man, do I have some stories on them already or what). Of course I don't take them out in public with clothes that are "wrong", but at home anything goes. Sean is aware and doesn't care which surprised me, but he completely understands what it means to have twins and understands that any short cuts or time savers are needed. What is funny to me is that we still get asked which is the boy and which is the girl when we are out or asked if we have two girls or two boys. You mean the one with the headband on is the girl? Or the one in the PINK and green car seat is the girl and the one in the BLUE and grey car seat is the boy? So really I could dress them in anything and we'd still be answering that question. The question that tops all questions is "Are they identical" even after they know that one is a boy and one is a girl. Okay, so if you didn't know that identical meant EVERYTHING has to be identical, now you do. And just to put your mind at ease, when I do get asked that question (and I do and more often than you think) I just simply say, "no, they are not." I leave the biology out of it. While were on the topic of twin education...it is on the woman's side of the family that dictates the incidence of "naturally occurring" twins (although there are other factors that can produce twins i.e. woman's age, woman's race, etc., but all have to do with the woman) I've had this discussion lots...the man has nothing to do with the woman producing 2 eggs...hmm. Identical twins happen spontaneously and isn't something that "runs in the family". Whew...got that off my chest...LOL!

2 comments:

Julie said...

People used to call Alex and Emma the wrong sex all the time when they were tiny...I think it was because Alex had lots of hair and it was starting to curl. Even despite blue clothes, they would say "she" was beautiful. Emma was a baldie and got the opposite..."he" was very handsome, every once in a while even with pink clothes. These days, I just try to say "your baby is beautiful" so I don't risk getting it wrong...Aren't people funny? :) I enjoyed your post. I'm sure it is a regular occurrence with people asking and also all kinds of crazy clothes combos. Heck, Emma has some pretty good combos even though she's seven and dresses herself.

Joy said...

Loved the post...and the twin education. :) You're doing great...who cares what they're wearing....they have clothes on, right? Isn't that what matters...?