Thursday, September 3, 2009

Update on Allergies

So I talked with Miles' allergist doctor today. Apparently either the lab made a mistake or he did when filling out the lab request because we were suppose to test for peanuts as well, but instead got the results for pecans. So we know Miles' isn't allergic to pecans, but I'm certain he's allergic to peanuts since he had a horrific hive experience just by coming in contact with peanut butter (on his skin, never eaten it). His doctor also referred us to some reputable websites. The food allergy website the kids with food allergy website. Lots of recipes for no egg, no milk, no wheat, no soy foods. I even found a recipe to make your own "flour" out of rice flour and some additional starches (potato, arrowroot and tapioca).

Our biggest challenge will be keeping Macey from sharing her food with Miles. She loves to give them food. I've started telling her that it will make him sick if she gives it to him. We'll see how that goes. That could backfire on us.

I asked the doctor if he felt we needed an epi-pen as he had mentioned that in our first visit with him. He said that he would call one in for us. We don't know what his response would be if he ingested eggs or peanuts. He also stated that by removing the items he's been eating from his system if he was to ingest some he could have a more severe reaction than what he has shown.

No comments: